Sunday, July 10, 2011

Google over everything... or not

So I've been on Google+ now for about 4 days now, but I've been researching it for weeks. I was really excited about it primarily because it had that mysterious vibe. Only certain people got invites to join at first and that made me want an invite so much more (kudos, Google). So finally, a coworker received an invite and invited me to join. So, what's my verdict?

It's not all that. Don't get me wrong, I think it could go places and I truly think people could take it and run with it, but I don't see that happening. Rumors before it's release to the public were saying that it was a mix between Facebook and Twitter which got me hype because I am obsessed with Twitter and well... everyone has Facebook.But I just don't see the connection. Yeah, the +1 buttons serve as somewhat of a 'like' button and your feed is like your timeline on Twitter, but sorting my friends into circles seems a bit ridiculous. I do like the concept of only sharing certain statuses for example: "what a rager last night, 5 beer bongs too many" with only my college friends and neutral statuses like: "can't wait for Harry Potter this weekend" with everyone. But, the accessibility to communicate with just one friend isn't up to par.

Yeah sure, you have "huddles" where you can video chat with friends in a one-on-one or group setting, but that's what skype is for. Also, this might just be me, but the only way I can group chat or one-on-one chat with a friend in one of my circles is on my Google+ application for my Android. If the small chat button to the left of the homescreen is supposed to be all that Google+ is offering for chat/group chat I'm HIGHLY disappointed. Idk. I obviously understand that it's still in the development stage but right now I just think its a bit of a cluster f*$&

No comments:

Post a Comment